Here it is! The Sound Of Sleep Christmas Sleep Guide!
I have created a Sleep Guide – just for you – so that you can help your little one sleep a little more soundly as we approach 2017. This guide is a mix of my favourite products and must-do sleep strategies for any child. By the way there is a VERY SPECIAL GIVEAWAY included in this list that may just get you and your child closer to a full night of sleep very soon!
Make it early
When you are determining an appropriate bedtime for your child, make sure that it is early, especially if he is extremely fussy or has frequent melt downs. Bedtime needs to happen between the hours of 6:30 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. Why? There are a few good reasons.
- Your child needs 11-13 hours of consolidated night time sleep every night up until the age of 10.
- An early bedtime is essential for your child to feel happy, healthy and energetic throughout the day.
- Getting enough night time sleep helps brain development and growth in babies and keeps older children feeling focused and at their best all day long.
- A late bedtime leads to disruptive sleep patterns and frequent wake-ups throughout the night, leaving your little one feeling exhausted the next day.
To make bedtime earlier, you may need to move an activity to the weekend or get home a bit earlier to have your little one in bed at an appropriate time. And don’t forget the bonus of getting your child to bed by 8:00 p.m. – a couple of hours in the evening to have for yourselves!
Give your angel a HALO
To keep your little one cozy all night long put them in a sleep sack. I absolutely adore the HALO company. They supply sleep sacks that come in a variety of styles and fabrics and help to keep your baby safe and warm, eliminating the worry of loose blankets in bed or toddlers leaping over crib rails. Find a sleep sack for every child:
- For newborns the Swaddle is best and you can keep hands in or out before they begin to roll.
- Toddlers have freedom with their feet out by using the Early Walkers .
- There is even one for Big Kids in a bed!
To have peace of mind and know that your child is tucked in comfortably for the night, these wearable blankets are a worthwhile purchase.
If your child is dependent on the use of an external item to help him fall asleep, then it will prevent him from developing an internal self-soothing strategy on his own. Some of the most common sleep props include falling asleep in one of the following ways:
- Feeding by bottle or breast.
- Motion (rocking, going for a car ride, bouncing).
- Needing a parent to lay with him to fall asleep.
When I meet a family struggling with their child going to bed or waking frequently, a prop is always present. Once we eliminate the prop, the child is able to sleep well and independently on his own.
Parents can compare this to how they fall asleep at night. We close our eyes and within 15-20 minutes we quickly enter into a peaceful slumber. We want our children to have this skill as well so that falling asleep is easy and prop-free, allowing for a consolidated and restorative sleep straight through the night!
Teach your child to tell the time
If you have a child over the age of two years old, getting him a clock will help him learn when it is time to wake up and when it is time for sleep. To do this, you have a couple of options:
- Make him familiar with number 7 and then get him a digital clock and cover up the minutes; then when the clock changes to the “magic 7” it is time to wake up!
- One of my favourite products is the Gro Clock. It has a screen that turns blue with stars when it is sleep time, and changes to a yellow sun when it is time to wake up. You can set it for a proper wake-up time in the morning and for naps. Your little one will be excited to let you know that his “sun is up!”
Sometimes you just need a little help
What can you do as a parent when you have tried every tip and trick but find yourself really struggling? It may have been months or even years since you have last experienced a solid 8 hours of sleep without being woken several times in the night. It is true that like everything else, sometimes you just need an expert to help you figure it out. Why?
- A Sleep Consultant can provide you with the support that you need and a clear plan to set you on the straight path to sweet dreams soon!
- We determine the reason why your child is struggling and what needs to be done to resolve it once and for all!
If any of this is resonating with you and you are tired of being tired, then enter to win my special Christmas Giveaway! A Private Sleep Consultation Package with me to help you get on track!
- A Customized Sleep Plan for your child.
- 1-Hour Private Consultation by phone or via Zoom.
- 2-15 minute calls
- Unlimited email support for the first week of implementing your child’s Customized Sleep Plan.
To learn more about the benefits of working with a consultant, read about other families success stories.
Enter your name here for a chance to win! A name will be announced on Thursday, December 15, 2016.
There you have it! My best list of strategies, leading you to a happy and healthy night’s sleep! Best of luck to all of you who entered for your chance to WIN!
Wishing you all a merry and restful Christmas holiday with your families! Sweet dreams for a blessed 2017.